PHASE 22: Reverse
I had to make a specific set up for the reverse on this sled. Since the chaincase and reverse came from an S-Chassis, and the oil tank and rear vents came from a ZX Chassis, a little creative metal work was called for.
I made a new lever to shift the mechanism on the top of the chaincase. I made this from 10 gauge steel. I cut the old lever off at the widest part, just above the pivot bushing. This way I could use that without making a new piece.
I had to offset the lever about 1" to have clearance for the SLP twin pipes. They have a presilencer. That is what was in the way of the original lever.
Once I got the proper clearance. I drilled two holes in to match the factory look. I now needed to get the outside shifter-pull out of the way. If I would have left it straight, it would have been in the middle of the vent. Then your knee would have been banging on it all the time.
So I found the proper location up tight against the tank. The problem now was that the shifter-pull and the shifter-lever were not in the plane. So I went to Storm Steel and rummaged through their steel piping scraps until I found a piece that the shifter rod would fit inside.
I then came home and went to work on a modified Z-Arm. I laid the angles out with coat hanger wire. Once I got it laid out, I measured the angles. I then divided the angles in half and cut them out on the tubing. I tack-welded it all together, and tested it. It worked perfectly.
I welded the whole thing together, ground off all the welds to a nice finished look, and painted all the pieces black. I used stainless bolts to hold it all together.
We go to Wyoming in an enclosed 4-place trailer. We have to drag 2 sleds in backwards to get them all to fit. I no longer have to drag my sled in. I can just back it in. SWEET!
CLICK PHASE 23 TO CONTINUE.
Copyright©: Racine Extreme
Web designs & updates provided by email@example.com